Wednesday, June 12, 2013

14 Weeks to 10k: My Story

It's hard to believe that just 14 weeks ago I could barely run 2 miles without stopping.  I specifically remember running the Hotcake Shuffle 5k back in January and my goal was to just make it to 2 miles before I stopped walking.  Now I can run 6 miles and not even stop!  It wasn't an easy journey, but I did it and here is my story.

14 weeks ago I downloaded an app on my iPhone called Couch to 10k FREE.  It's a great program that eases you into running.  I use to run a lot in my early 20's.  I loved it!  It gave me something to do in my free time and kept me in shape.  That slowly went away with time and I wanted back in.  My husband started running this past year and has since completed 3 half marathons!  I felt left out.  So to the app I went.  To give you an idea, this is the first week.

Week 1
Day 1: Brisk 5 minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for 20 mins. 
Day 2: repeat above
Day 3: repeat above

As you can see, it's not hard.  It then increases as the weeks go on.  Here is the third week.

Week 3
Day 1: Brisk 5 minute warmup walk, then do 2 repetitions of the following; Jog for 90 secs; Walk for 90 secs; Jog for 3 mins; Walk for 3 mins
Day 2 & 3: repeat above

At first I was kind of bored with the workouts, but kept with it.  In order to know if this program worked, I had to stick to the program.  Well friends....if I can do it...you can do it.  Many days I just didn't want too.  Sometimes I even walked when I was suppose to be running.  I would be lying if I said I never got teary eyed while out trying to do my weekly training.  Hanging out with friends were turned down, Happy Hours were missed, toenails fell off, and hangover runs were performed.  Those were the WORST.  I learned very quickly that, that extra glass of wine was not worth it knowing that I had to run for 45 mins the next day.  

All said and done, I would do it again.  I learned that I can do anything if I want to.  I can't do it because someone else wants me to or says I can.  It has to be my choice.  I learned which type of socks, shorts, and shirts I like.  And I learned that having a good solid Garmin watch that tracks your speed and distance is just the motivation you need.  Looking down and seeing you are only 1/4 mile away from 5 miles when your app says your time is up only makes you go longer because you are SO CLOSE.  

If you've been thinking about doing a 10k or even doing a 5k! I encourage you to do a search on your phone in the App Store for Couch to 10k or Couch to 5k.  Pick the FREE version and I promise you, you will succeed.  The app even tells you when to start running, start walking, and when you are half way there so you can turn around.  You literally just hit "start workout" and follow the instructions.  You can even listen to music at the same time. Let me know what race you sign up for and I'll join you if you want a running buddy.  Here are my pictures from my race.

The race was delayed for an hour due to rain and lighting.  What to do?!

Finished! Showing off our medals.


Wounded Warrior am I with my fractured wrist. opps!



No comments: