Monday, May 18, 2015

Deep Thoughts

Lately I have been thinking a lot about living in the moment.  Trying to focus on putting down my phone and enjoying where I am.  It was confirmed this weekend when my brother-in-law posted on Facebook a question.  It said:

If you could blink your eyes and make a single modern convenience vanish instantly from ever existing, what would you choose?

I hesitated to answer.  I really want to get rid of the smart phone.  Everywhere you go you see people on their phones.  You look around at a restaurant and the kids are watching or playing a game on a phone.  Sometimes on an iPad.  Parents are checking their phones.  Couples have their phones next to the bread basket.  Even sitting here as I type this my husband is on his phone and I'm on my computer.  This scene never would have been something I would have seen growing up.  You would have found my family watching something like Home Improvement or Murder She Wrote in the living room.  But only after we had dinner at the table in the kitchen....with no TV. 

Maybe I'm getting older! Maybe it's because of Dexter.  I don't know . But I have found myself wanting to take out my phone to take a picture of something I'm doing with Dexter and telling myself NO.  I don't want Dexter growing up with memories of me and always taking pictures.  I want him to remember me playing with him.  I have books and books of photos from my childhood so I know it can be done.  I just don't want to have a phone in my hand 24/7. 

Now, I know that the technology of cell phones is AMAZING and literally has saved lives.  That I don't want to get rid of.  So, I need to find a middle ground.  I know I can do it. 

With all that being said...I have been taking very few pictures.  However, I did have my first Mother's Day!  Obviously I had to capture the moment.  Huge thank you to my husband.  He made it perfect.

The day started out with him making me breakfast! Complete with mimosas.

My Gift! Preston sent off a picture of Dexter and me and had it hand drawn by an artist.  I love it so much!!!

Off to lunch aka Mother's Day Feast at III Forks.
 
My Boys!

Me

My yummy yummy lunch!

I just love him so much!
 After lunch we spent the day at home just chilling.  I even got in a nap and a lifetime movie!! It was perfect.  We then feed Dex some rice cereal for the first time.


We were so full from breakfast and dinner we weren't really hungry for dinner.  But since it was my day....cheese and crackers it was! At least for me.  Preston picked himself up some sushi.

 
 Lastly, I also got this wonderful sign for my office at work.  As you can see, I have it on my window.  It makes me smile every time I walk in or turn around in my chair.


To bring this whole post full circle.  I'm going to try to leave my phone in my purse more.  When I'm at work, it stays in my purse.  When I'm at home, it either stays in my purse or I put it on my night stand. If I get to a restaurant before a friend, look around! Watch what is going on in front of me.  Don't play on my phone.  I know it's going to be hard, for me, but I'm going to try.


This Guy.
 


No comments: