Sunday, December 8, 2013

Weekend of Ups and Downs

The past 4 days sure have been a roller coaster! I'm not even sure where to begin.  Thursday night an ice storm came through Dallas.  Seeing as we aren't a city that gets ice on an annual basis, we do not have vehicles or the service to help in these situations.  Needless to say, our offices were closed on Friday.  It seemed all down hill from there.  Friday afternoon I received this email:


Preston and I were devastated.  I won't bore you with my pity party.  We both slummed around the house until about 4pm.  Then we got out and went to Angry Dog for dinner in Deep Ellum.  It's less than a mile from our house so we didn't feel scared driving.  We made sure that we were back home before it got dark.  The temperatures were set to decrease and anything that had melted during the day would freeze again.  Some parts of DFW got actual snow, but not us.  The white in these pictures is ice/sleet. 


 I saw on the news that some people were stuck on highways for over 11 hours!  Stuck in their cars with no way of getting home and no way for anyone to come help them.  I do feel for those folks.  Ashe wasn't feeling the cold either.  He did this the majority of the day.


Saturday we go bundled up and went for a walk to Starbucks.  We put on some of our running clothes we purchased for the run.  Wanted to test it out.  Our gloves are AWESOME.  So happy we have those.  The Starbucks is only a block from our house so we didn't have to go far.  I had planned on taking pictures, but realized that it wasn't a good idea to be standing in the street, on ice, with cars, taking pictures.  We tried to avoid the ice as much as possible which was all over the sidewalk.  It was then time to get back home for the Bedlam game.  Yeeeeeeah!!  I thought at the time.  Ugh.  We lost. I love the Bedlam game because you never know what is going to happen.  I thought it was a good game and I was up screaming at the TV the last quarter.  Still hurts.  We then packed up for the night and headed to the Omni hotel.  We had booked the room for the marathon and for Preston's company Christmas party.  Oh' I forgot!  So his Christmas party was suppose to be Saturday night at the Dallas World Aquarium. 

That was also canceled.  We called the hotel to cancel our room, but because it wasn't by noon the day before we would still be charged.  Didn't want the room to go to waste so we invited another couple to come join us for the night.  We brought some of our favorite games and drinks.  All in all it was a good time.  



When we got home this morning I really wanted to make a crockpot dish so I went up to Kroger.  Beef Stroganoff it is.  It's still really cold outside so it's the perfect meal.  The house is starting to smell good, but it still have several more hours to go!  Today is going to be spent doing laundry and cleaning up around the house.  We leave for vacation next Friday and I don't want to have to come home every night from work and be buzzing around.  I'm really looking forward to vacation.  It will so relaxing.  Once we get back will both are starting our training for the Cowtown Marathon in February.  It's set for the weekend before our 3rd anniversary so I'm sure we will make a little staycation out of that one too.  

So that was our weekend.  Stay warm Dallas!  

No comments: