Saturday, November 30, 2013

(Gibson) Orange Cup Sweet Potatoes

Growing up we had our sweet potatoes served in orange cups for Thanksgiving.  I thought this was totally normal until I went to college.  A lot things my family did for holiday traditions I thought were normal until leaving the nest.  Our wooden shoes at Christmas time is another one, but that's not what this blog is about today.  I've had a couple of questions about the orange cups I posted in my previous post.  Below is the recipe.  I don't have any step by step photos as my mom made them the day before Thanksgiving and I was working. #newjobproblems.  I did get 3 photos on Thursday so they will be included.  Here is what you will need:

3 large sweet potatoes (5 or 6 smallish ones, or 4 mediums)
4T butter
1/2 C drained crushed pineapple (we use a whole 10oz small can)
2t grated orange peel (about one whole orange)
2t rum or rum flavor....or not at all
2T brown sugar
nutmeg

Wash, grease and bake sweet potatoes one hour.
Peel and mash with butter.
Add pineapple, orange zest, rum and brown sugar.
Cut oranges in half and scoop out the insides.  We like to save the orange "inner" for breakfast the next day.


Put the mixture into the orange halves that have been scooped out.  Sprinkle with nutmeg and reheat for about 20 mins.  


They work great for individual serving and they have their own little cup so they don't touch other food.  For those that can't stand to have their food touching.  The baking in the orange up adds a nice citrus flavor and is different than your normal pan of sweet potatoes with marshmallows.

No comments: