Saturday, November 23, 2013

New England Clam Chowder. Is that the red? or the white?

The weather in Dallas right now is perfect for soup.  My phone says it's 37 degrees outside and drizzling.  Perrrrrrfect.  On my way home from work last night I stopped at the store and picked up ingredients to make my first try at clam chowder.  We both like clam chowder, but have never made it at home.  I looked up the recipe and it is really simple!   You will need the following ingredients.


4 slices of bacon, diced
1 1/2 cups diced onion
4 cups of cubed potatoes
3 cups of half & half
10oz of minced clams
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cup of water

I stood in front of the bacon for longer than I should have at the store.  We have eaten turkey bacon for such a long time I had a hard time buying real bacon.  But I couldn't imagine the soup being good with turkey bacon.  It wouldn't cook the same!  So I picked up the smallest packet I could find.  I only needed 4 slices!  This soup is so easy friends.  Here are my instructions:

dice the bacon
cook it until crisp
add the onions (don't remove the fat/grease) cook about 5 mins
Add the potatoes and water.  You need to bring them to a boil for about 15 mins or until potatoes are tender with a fork.  The amount of water in the recipe wasn't enough in my opinion so I added more.  Enough water to cover the top.
Reduce heat and pour in the half and half.  Season with salt and pepper. (stir)
Ewww. Clams.
::sigh:: Drain the clams and add to the soup.  Save the water from the clams and pour in half.  
DO NOT BRING TO BOIL.  Heat on low until warmed throughout.  
 And there you have it!  Clam Chowder.  I served my with some mini baguettes and that was it.  It was hot and got us warm and cozy while watching Friday night TV.  I can't wait to cook up more soups this winter.  Thanks to my wonderful soup cookbook from my friend Natalie, I won't have to look far.  

No comments: