Sunday, April 26, 2015

Edgefest with a side of Mac-n-Cheese!

Several weeks ago while driving around, we heard that the band The Offspring was playing at Edgefest this year.  Man did we both want to go seem them.  But Edgefest is a all day music festival.  Just saying it out loud sounded exhausting to us.  The closer and closer it got to the date, the more and more we wanted to go.  So a week before the concert, we asked our friends if they could watch Dexter for the night.  They were free and willing so we bought tickets.  Yeah!

The Saturday in general was going to be a super busy day.  First off, we headed to the Binnings for their annual crawfish boil.  Last year I went alone as Preston was doing something, can't remember.  I do remember though that I was about 3 months pregnant and hadn't told anyone.  Avoiding the crawfish, hotdogs and alcohol without a wingman was interesting. This year was way more fun!  Plus we had Dexter with us!




It was getting close to Dexter's nap time.  The best thing to do when this happens is to hand him to our friend Kristin.  She can just look at a baby and it falls asleep.



After the boil, we headed home to get ready for the concert.  The Crowes came over and it was quickly time for us to go!  I wish I would have gotten a picture of them.  This is the only one I have and I stole it from Kacie's FB page.
 
Kacie is 7 months pregnant with Dexter's soon to be best buddy. They are going to have so much fun together growing up! 
 
While Dexter and the Crowes were having a party, we were just starting our party.  I've never been to Edgefest so I wasn't sure what to expect.  It didn't take long for me to figure out that the average age was around 23 and apparently they were all taking it upon themselves to try to make this a Dallas Cochella.  The people watching was at its prime.  The bohemian look was on every girl and thigh tattoos are really in style.  I had no idea!  We purchased seats by the main stage.  The thought of standing for hours down on the field sounded horrible.  All we had to eat that day was whatever we ate at the crawfish boil so we quickly made our way to the concession stand where we dined on some burgers and beers.  We made our way to our seats. 
 
 
The girls in front of us were entertaining to watch.  Not only was the girl on the right channeling her inner Winona Ryder from Beetlejuice, they both had on clothes that I swear I wore in the '90s.  

 
 In between Death Cab for Cutie and Modest Mouse we walked around a bit.  Going to the top edge of the stadium gave a good visual of how many people were in attendance. 

 
The sun was directly on us so we bought what I like to call "waste of money margaritas" to cool ourselves down.  Not only are they stupid expensive, they are very sugary and sticky if you spill any of it.  I miiiiiiiiight have split some on my foot.  Dang it. Sticky Toes!


They put down plastic flooring over the soccer field, which is totally smart.  People were lounging around, passing out and playing games.  We quickly noticed that anyone could just walk on down there.  People were jumping the fence and security didn't seem to care.

 
 It was getting closer to The Offspring to take the stage.  I turned to Preston and asked if he wanted to go to the floor.  He said nah.  About 5 mins later he turned to me and asked if I wanted to go to the floor. I said not any more.  Then about 5 mins after THAT we both turned to each other and said, "Let's Go For It!"  We grabbed our drinks and just walked on down there.  Yeah! I was so glad we did.  I didn't want to get to close though.  People were crowd surfing and starting mosh pits all around us.  More than once Preston pulled me out of the way of something or someone.  It was exciting! Yet scary.
 
They put on a great show! My throat hurts this morning from screaming and singing along.  My body is sore from all the walking and mosh pit avoiding.  Throw in the sun and drinks, we were feeling kind of sluggish this morning.  After The Offspring finished, we made our way to our car.  I stopped and took a picture of the crowd enjoying the last band of the festival.

 
This morning when Dexter realized that the Crowes were gone, he was pretty sad. I think its safe to say he had a good time with them.

 
To help myself feel better, I thought I would cook.  I have never made homemade mac and cheese before.  Something about it just sounded good! I looked up the richest, easiest, classic based recipe I could find.  Paula Dean's.  Here are the ingredients.  

 
It was pretty simple! Boil the pasta.

 
Melt the cheese and butter.

 
Combine the melted cheese with the cooked pasta and everything else in the Crock Pot.

 
Set it on low for 2 1/2 hours.

 
There you go! Homemade mac and cheese.  I also made a brisket in the oven.  But I didn't take any photos.  So for dinner tonight we are having Brisket Mac and Cheese.  Then we will have leftovers for the rest of the week.  I've been trying to do more food preps on Sunday.  A brisket is a good start.  Now I'm going to go back to recovering from our late night. More....water......
 


No comments: