Sunday, October 31, 2010

Trick-or-Treat! 19th Century

It's 9:14pm and we have not had 1 trick-or-treater. Granted, I live just east of downtown Dallas and I don't even explore when the sun sets. But it's Halloween! I have been viewing the photos of my friends kids and their halloween adventure and pretty much only one thing has stuck out to me.

MAN WE HAD IT GOOD IN THE 1980/90'S.

We got to go trick-or-treating, in the dark, alone, for hours! All of my memories of Halloween are not leaving the house until it's dark. Then my parents walked with me, up to the age of like...13, and stood at the street. We would then go up to the house, alone, and get our candy. I have watched enough news reels and movies that if I had a child I would be walking up to the front door every time. If the house looked creepy...we would keep walking. When I was a kid and the house looked creepy it was considered fun!

Did anyone else go trick-or-treating after the age of 13 alone? I know I did. I don't have that many times, but I remember one time I went with a group of friends to a neighborhood and we were by ourselves. About 7 girls under the age of 16 dropped off to go house to house.

Have I become old and cynical? Am I a negative nancy?

I cherish my Halloween Days of walking up to a scary house alone with just my sister and knocking on the door in the dark. I miss the dumping of the candy at the end of the night and my sister and me playing candy store. Trading pieces for other precious candies.

Preston and realized a common theme tonight that we suspect is a cover for our parents. Both of us had to have our parents "inspect" our candy before we were allowed to eat it. Now we think our parents "inspected" it to pick out what they wanted. Ha! Can't wait until our turn.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN PEOPLE!!!

No comments: