Monday, June 11, 2012

Dayz of Summer

On Monday's I typically go to the gym and do 45 mins on the elliptical.  Today though, my friend Summer asked if I would like to go walking with her on the Katy Trail!  Why yes....yes I would.  At 5pm we changed our clothes and headed out there.  First I want to give you an imagine of how this worked.  Let's look at the facts:

1. On Monday's I typically go to the gym. That means INSIDE.
2. Today is Monday.
3. I packed yoga PANTS.

oh yeah!  I almost forgot item number 4.

4. The heat index today was 103 degrees. You read that correctly.  One hundred and three degrees.

For numerous obvious reasons it wasn't the smartest thing for anyone to go outside in that heat in wool tights, but I really wanted to go!  So I put on my yoga pants, which might have been wool tights, my t-shirt and Summer and I headed out to the trail.  Our office building backs up to the trial which is really nice AND the city of Dallas was kind enough to approve our construction request and let us build a gate with a secure code so we can just walk right out our parking garage and on to our trail! I was smart enough to bring 2 bottles of water with me and thank goodness I did.  There was a nice breeze and the trail has some good shade spots, but after a mile and a half I was starting to feel my wool tights.  I wanted to rip off those damn things!  I would have had I not been wearing my thong with little palm trees.  You know I would have right?  It was totally the palm trees that stopped me.  Anyway, I finished 1 bottle of water and turned back for the walk home.  

Summer seems to be immune to the 103 heat index which made me wonder, is it because her name is Summer?  Does the heat know that she is one of them?  I suspect so because she doesn't even look like she is bothered by the heat.  Don't get me wrong....I had a great time talking with her.  In fact we talked about doing this every Monday.  I really enjoyed it though.  Being out in the fresh 103 degree air and breathing in the fire air. It's only June 11th people.  The Dayz of Summer are here.  It's only going to get hotter and next time, I will leave those wool tights at home.

No comments: