Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Relish in the Kitchen

Sunday afternoon I got the urge to make a relish dish of sorts that my mom always made growing up.  As a child I didn't like it, but as an adult, I thought about the ingredients and it sounded really good!!  When I moved to Dallas my photo copied pages out of her recipe book that I really liked.  The dip just happened to be on the same page as something else so I knew I had it!  Please take the info below and try it out.  So Delicious   (pretty sure it's not bad for you either)

Below is a picture of everything you will need.

2-3lbs of Carrots
1 can of sliced/diced Jalapenos
2 onions
1/2 C of olive oil
1/2 C white vinegar
corn chips
Supplies: pot, bowl, ice, food processor or ice/cutting board


Step 1: bring a pot of water to boil.  
 If you have a food processor, it is fast and easy to dice the carrots.  If you don't have one, that's ok!  You can chop them by hand or use any other cooking tool you have in your kitchen.  FYI - if you are chopping by hand the water my come to a boil before you are done chopping.  If so, just turn it down until you are finished and then bring it back to a boil.

Step 2: once you have the carrots chopped and water is boiled, turn OFF the heat and move pot on another burner.  Add carrots.  You want them to sit in the boiling water for 30-40, but you aren't cooking them so don't boil them!!

Step 3: drain the carrots of the hot water

Step 4: Immediately blanch them!  This means put them in a bowl of ice and water.  You are basically shocking the carrots.  This gives them a good soft crunch.  Let me sit for 10 mins.
 After 10 mins, drain the carrots and put in a bowl that you are planning on serving the dip.  At this point you will want to add the ingredients below.

Step 5: mix in chopped onion and jalapenos. stir and then add in vinegar and olive oil, stir again.

You are done!  Serve with a bowl of chips and you are set.  Now this is one of those dips that the more it sits the better it gets.  The flavors marry and it is great!

No comments: