Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Night We Won the Lottery

It was a Wednesday.  On my way home from work I took a last minute left hand turn and parked in front of what would soon be my treasure box.  It was my local 7-11.  I have been going to that place for 5 years, they know my face.  I went to the back and got my lottery card.  There was a line up front with people that were just doing the, "5 tickets please" up front.  But no...I was going to customize mine.  I rummaged in my purse and found a blue pen.  I did 2 plays with numbers that mean a lot to me and then selected quick pick on the remaining 3 plays.  As I checked out, my favorite 7-11 checker-outer smiled and said something to me that he hadn't said to anyone before me.  He said, "Good luck tonight".

I walked away and that was that.  I had the winning ticket.

Pulling into our garage I pulled out my numbers again.  Before I even shut off the car I looked at the numbers and ran my fingers over the paper.  The next movements of my night are lame.  Loaded the dishwasher, almost stabbed myself with a knife when it fell on the floor.  Order 2 Christmas presents and watched a Lifetime movie.  Preston got home and it was time for dinner.  Neither one of us felt like cooking so we picked our last meal wisely.

We ordered Tai Tai.  Both got the lemon grass chicken with medium spice.  It was followed up with some Christmas M&Ms and some DVR.  Then we waited...and watched as the news announced our numbers.  

No comments: