Saturday, July 26, 2014

Preston's Birthday and Pot Roast Sunday

Preston's Birthday was last week! The 18th.  This was the first time since I have known Preston that his birthday fell on a Friday.  I was pretty excited about this.  We could have a Birthday weekend for him!  Friday night we did a dinner with 13 of his friends.  It was a lot of fun, but I didn't get any pictures. Was having too much fun.  He has been wanting an Xbox One since they came out last year to replace his perfectly working Xbox 360.  I don't see why it needs to be replace.  But he also doesn't understand why I need more than one purse, so we just go with it.  Saturday was spent doing pretty much nothing except setting up the Xbox.  I have to admit, it's pretty cool compared to the 360.  It looks better and has more features.  Once we move into our new house it will be nice because we will be able to have an Xbox downstairs and upstairs.

A random fun fact about Preston and me is that in our youth we both loved Tippins French Silk Pie.  I rarely got to go to Tippins, but when I did I always got the Chicken Pot Pie and a slice of pie for dessert.  I don't know what it was about that place.  I think maybe the long cases of pies when you walked in or the fact that it was usually after a day of just my mom and me when we would go.  It always felt like a treat.  Preston also has similar stories.  Fast forward to 2014 and I found their pie!! Of course I had to buy one as a surprise.  I waited till Sunday morning to bring it out and we each had a slice for breakfast.  It was so good! But kind of made us both sick as we don't normally eat sweets so just one slice it was. 


I think his birthday was a success so Happy Birthday Preston!  Next year your birthday will be on a Saturday so maybe a weekend trip?

The weather here in Dallas has been unseasonable cool for July.  I love that, as I do not like the heat unless I'm working out or doing an activity that I'm suppose to be sweating.  The cool air has made me want to cook up some of my winter dishes.  I've been fighting it so far, but finally gave in and bought stuff to make a pot roast.  I really didn't want to use our crock pot so looked for reciepes that I could use our dutch oven.  Found One! It was from the Pioneer Women.  I always hear so much about her but never made one of her recipes.  This one was ok, but not a repeat.  Preston even said it was ok, but liked my crock pot recipe better.
Here are all the ingredients.  Roast, salt, beef broth, carrots, and onions. Very simple. 
Chop up the onions in big chunks.  I use baby carrots instead of chopping up regular carrots.  This is before photo, but you brown them in the pot with olive oil before putting in for the long cooking. 
Remove carrots and onions and then put in the pot roast.  Coat it will salt and pepper, pretty heavy and brown it on both sides.  (add more olive oil if needed)  Add thyme and rosemary. Then remove.
Pour in the beef broth and scrape up anything that is left from the browning of the carrots, onions, and roast.  Then put everything back in the Dutch Oven.  Fill with beef broth half way.  Cover and cook at 275 for about 3 hours!
When finished it will just fall apart and is super juicy.  You could probably add potatoes if you wanted.  I put it all in one dish for easy leftovers the rest of the week.
It's not part of the recipe, but I made some gravy with the leftover juices.  There was a lot left over so I removed about 75% of it then slowly added flour until it was the consistency I liked.  There you go, gravy. 
We ate it for about 3 days then we lost interest.  Ready to move on.  I did try to make a pot roast wrap for dinner one night.  That was a fail, but we laughed about it and still ate the mess it was.  Just picture pot roast, in a tortilla with lettuce, then gravy as dressing.  Roll it up then put it in the sandwich press.  Yup...not a good idea.  Oh Well!  I tried!  The weather is starting to heat up, triple digits.  I will go back to making our summer dinners of grilled/broiled chicken with steam veggies.

No comments: