Friday, August 22, 2014

Aloha! and more house......

I kept meaning to post last Sunday, then Monday, and things just kept coming up.  life.  Last weekend was our good friend Kacie's 30th birthday party.  It was Hawaiian themed and was so much fun.  Several months ago our other friends organized having Kacie's yard "flocked" the day of her party.  I had almost forgotten about it till she text me that morning with the pictures.  Best service EVER!


 
It was perfect for the Luau planned for later that night.  When you are going to a Luau you need to dress the part, right?  Several months ago I found this awesome pineapple headpiece on Pinterest.  I "pinned" it in hopes I would remember and make it for Kacie's party.  I remembered!
You need green posterboard, headband, toilet paper roll, and hot glue gun.  Cut the green poster board in to leafy strips of different lengths.   Glue them around the toilet paper roll, then glue the toilet paper roll to the headband. 

Tada! You're a Pineapple!  It was a little heavy, but was easy and fun.  Plus I think people liked it. 


I paired the head piece with a pineapple shirt and black maxi skirt.  Slim pickings for costumes while you are 6 months pregnant. I thought about wearing a yellow shirt and being one big pineapple, but yellow just doesn't look good on me.  Here are some pictures from the party with the photo backdrop.  I should have gotten more, especially of the cake! It was so pretty. 
Kacie, Summer, and myself (note I'm holding a baby monkey)
Pretty sure my belly is all up in Kacie's backside.  Sorry birthday girl.  Oh' and you can see my pineapple head piece pretty good in this picture.

The next day we woke to thunder around 7am.  It rained on and off pretty much all day long.  The thunder though lasted till about noon and was a nice rumble.  We turned on Hook to watch and I fell back asleep right away.  It was so comfy to listen to thunder rumble and Robin Williams at the same time (RIP).  That afternoon we went to the movie.  There are no less than 5 movies coming out right now that are books I have read.  I've hit the book to movie jackpot!  I love reading the book and then seeing the movie.  This past Sunday the book/movie of choice was The Giver.  I read this book in 1993 when I was 13 and loved it.  Over the years I have read it dozens of time.  Never gets old. 

It was everything I hoped it would be! I think there is a lot in the movie that you would miss or not understand if you hadn't read the book.  Preston hasn't read it, but still enjoyed the story line.  I don't feel like they left anything out.  There were lots of things implied that I picked up on due to the book and that was cool for me.  Next movie is If I Stay tonight with Kacie and Steph.  I cried reading the book so I'm pretty sure I will cry at the movie.

We didn't have much time to go by the house this week.  I had dinner with friends, Bunco, and just flat didn't feel like moving.  Last night we went over there and were SUPER excited.  Did a walk through picturing more things and picking out spots for TV's.  We meet with the surround sound guy on Saturday morning and we need to tell him where we want the wiring.  It's so permanent!  For this house trip my favorite part was that our fireplace was there.  Yippee.

We've got shingles!
A fireplace, kind of.  I was happy about it.  This will be my first gas fireplace.  I personally am a fan of a wood burning, but you can't win it all.  I have years to figure out the whole Santa thing with the chimney.
Middle bar will be the island in the kitchen, opening up to the family room.  You can see Preston in the background standing in the master bedroom.
Standing where the oven will be'ish, looking towards the breakfast nook and back patio door.
More of the kitchen/family room.
"and we can put the grill here...." Back patio!

Hard to get a picture of the upstairs media/game room.  There is a bathroom and closet up there too.  We have great designs on this room.
 
That is the latest on the house and what I did this past weekend.  We have a lot planned for this weekend too, so I'm sure I will have an opinion on everything soon.  To kick off my weekend I'm going to lunch with a bunch of my friends at Perry's for Pork Chop Friday!!! One of the best days ever.

No comments: