Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Playing House. Instant Parents. Aunt and Uncle Time!

We have the cutest, best, little nieces and nephew ever!  This past weekend we got the joy of spending 3 days with them.  Just them.  We weren't sure if we were up to the task with no experience, but we were more than happy to give it a whirl.  I'm typing this blog so we survived.  I must warn you...these kids are pretty dang fun to hang with and great at taking pictures.

Friday - The Beginning.
Preston and I left work and went straight to the hotel where my sister was staying for a conference and we were greeted in the lobby with hugs and kisses.  Within 30 mins we were ready to go to dinner.  It was unanimous that everyone wanted pizza.  Preston did a quick Google search and found a place within 2 miles.  We all got our shoes on and headed to the car.  We needed to take my sisters car as we needed a vehicle with 3 car seats.  It didn't take long before I was sweating.  Getting everyone strapped in is HARD.  We weren't sure how it worked, but the 6 year old was very helpful!  I brought my camera as I planned on taking pictures. HA! That's cute.  I was doing good to even eat half a slice of pizza.  We got back to the hotel right before a storm came in and it was perfect for the kids to get on their PJs and watch a movie. I did manage to get this cute photo of Gage buried in the bed watching a movie on the iPad.


Saturday - Tour of Dallas
Up bright and early, we were at the hotel by 8:30am to pic the kiddos up.  We were going to the Perot Nature and Science Museum! I didn't realize my camera was on the wrong setting until we were inside the museum, so the first pics are kind of funky looking.

walking to the museum

They were excited about going into the Box!

Drew really wanted to come see me.  I love how you can see Reese in the background.

awwwww, love this one too!

playing music before we enter



We have a membership to the museum so it was awesome to just walk right up.  No waiting in line.  Plus we are allowed to go in an hour and half prior to it opening to the public.  Which with kids...is AWESOME! They had free range of so many exhibits.

Dinosaurs!
Gage is going to race T-Rex
Uncle Preston getting him pumped at the starting line. Seven seconds till start time!!
Reese is getting on her mark to kick the soccer ball.  It takes a video of her kicking to watch her form.  She has a really good kick! Wish we could have bought the video.

Reese and Gage prepare to race each other AND T-Rex.
The Recycle Reef
They placed their recycled artwork into the reef
Little Drew wanted to lift up the bowling balls too....awwww

yeah....I rocked the Baby Bjorn.

Whoaaaaaa!
This next exhibit was so cool.  You stand in front of the screen and you can fly like a bird.  Which ever direction you move, the bird moves.  You wear 3D glasses and you are flying!!





Reese listing to bird calls
We then found another hands on exhibit that was basically dry ice in water and then blown into a soap bubble.  The kids then put on a glove and could hold them in their hands.  I really wanted to hold one, but you know...it was for the kids. ::sigh::







This nice worker was explaining to Reese and Gage the different kinds of furs and skulls of animals.
The heat sensor! White is hot.  Everyone's faces were white.  You can see me in the back far right hold Drew. 


They loooooved running back and forth with this thing.  It followed their movement.

Gage thought this was awesome!  It blew air up the tube so you could put a cube of paper in it and it flew to the top.
So many interactive things to do! 






It was almost 11:30 by the time we were finished and the kids were hungry.  Today they wanted Mexican! So off to Mi Cocina we went.  We went to the Lakewood location vs the Uptown as it is way more family friendly.

Tortilla face time.  One corn and one flour.  
After lunch we went to our house to relax and watch a Netflix movie.  Netflix has a great selection of kids movies.  Drew was more interested in our cat Ashe.  She only has dogs, so a cat was very different.  Ashe tolerated her curiosity very well.
"umm..what is this?"
"can I touch it? oh! it's furry."
We then changed into bathing suits and headed back to the hotel for some swimming.  Although we only went about 2 miles before everyone looked like this.  We drove around extra turns and exits allowing them a solid 30 min nap.  


I don't have any photos of us swimming and I'm ok with that.  My sister joined us a little before 6pm and Preston and I headed back to Dallas.  But not for long.....the next day was full of surprises!

Sunday - Surprise!!
This day we didn't tell the kids what we had planned.  Preston and I met them at the hotel around 10am.  My sister checked out of the hotel and we loaded up the car.  I drove my sister's car while Preston followed us in his.  We made our way to the Galleria Mall.  I haven't been to the Galleria in years so naturally I missed the exit off of 635 and took everyone on a short tour of the tollway. Opps!  Back on track we headed into the parking garage.  We told Gage that he was going to send the day with Uncle Preston, just boys. Gage was super exicited and off they went into the mall.  Reese, still not sure what we were doing grabbed her America Girl doll and we lead her to the mecca of 6 year old land....The American Girl Store.  Once she realized where she was you could tell she wasn't sure what she was suppose to do.  We got there a little before 11am.  Our reservations were at 11:15am.  It didn't open until 11am so we waited, along with the rest of the world. 
 The excitement was building and Reese was realizing where she was, so of course she had to call her Daddy and Gramps to let them know that she was about to have lunch at The American Girl store.

All dressed up and ready for lunch
Very important phone calls going on.
I can't really explain the pink explosion of this store.  It is a little girls dream come true.  Lunch was actually good food! I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.













I really love this one, they both have milkshakes.

After lunch we headed to the Salon.  We had an appointment at 1:30!

Before Picture
Dressed in her towel wrap ready for her body scrub. 
Gotta make sure her nails are clean.....
Having so much fun! Please not the facial that is going on in the background.
Time for hair
Two perfect braids!
Customer has to sign off on the services.
She signed her name really really well.  I was impressed.
Thanks Veronica for the great salon job and great spirit.  She was really playing up the roll....or was she?
Preston and Gage met up with us.  They had a great time playing in the Galleria play zone, looking at sports memorabilia stores, eating pizza (again), and having ice cream as a treat.  I had the camera with me the whole time so no Boys Only photos.

The only picture we got all weekend of all 5 of us.  Gage was THRILLED to be in this store.
All in all we had a wonderful weekend.  I have never thought being a parent was easy, but I have a new respect now for my friends with kids.  I also now know the secret to you all staying skinny!  You have NO time to eat.  Ever.  I miss the kids already, but no worries....we will see them again in less than 2 weeks back in Oklahoma.

3 comments:

Kacie Butler said...

Aww! So much fun! It looks like the kids had a blast at the museum! They are pretty dang cute.

Anonymous said...

You both are truly the best Aunt and Uncle EVER!! What a whirl-wind, wonderful, spoil 'em rotten vacation for the kids. You now hold 'favorite Aunt and Uncle' status!! Aunt Susie

Sarah said...

Thanks Kacie and Aunt Susie! It was so much fun.