Saturday, September 20, 2014

Southbound, 35! or 67...Still Headed South.

This is going to be a long post, but is going to be 80% photos.  This past weekend we went down to Austin/Bastrop for a quick vacation.  I really don't like the term "Babymoon" bur for all meaning of the word....that is what it was.  One last vacation before we have the baby.  We are 9 weeks away from my due date so this was our last chance.  We would have liked to go somewhere like Santa Fe or D.C., but we ran out of time and I can't fly anymore.

So here it is, our weekend in review.  We took 67 south instead of 35 so we could see all the little towns and stop off for some fun pictures.  First stop, breakfast in Midlothian, TX.



It was good! They even had a smoking and nonsmoking section.  Classic.  It was then back on the road.  Next we stopped in Glen Rose, TX.  So many Dinosaurs!





Thank goodness I jumped that fence at the last min! It almost got me.

Same with Preston! That fence saved our lives.
 We then stopped along the way in both Hico and Hamilton, TX.


 
Glad we did stop because at one point, it turned into a full blown panic of us both setting our lineups for Fantasy Football.  We begin our trip on a Sunday around 7:30am.  With the stopping and such it was getting close to noon game time.   
 

We rolled into Austin around 11:45am.  There's the capital folks!


It was then on the way to our first resort of the trip.



We found a beach ball so it was only fitting to put it back where it belonged.
 We found a hiking trail! 


and miniature golf.....




I wasn't wearing the best hiking clothes, but you work with what you have.  A maxi skirt works just fine.
 After our hike we went back to the room and watched some football and relaxed.  It was nice to not have to be anywhere by a certain time.  It was perfectly ok to just lounge around.  For dinner that night we drove up the street to a place that got good reviews.  I ordered the crab cake salad and it was wonderful!



Next day we enjoyed breakfast at the resort and coffee on the back patio in the rocking chairs.  Preston had to join in on a webinar for work at 11am so we went downstairs to the lounge/library.  I thought I would read my book, but the business meeting behind me about HEB was to interesting to focus.  I would tell you what I learned, but I would have to kill you.  Let's just say one should never have a business meeting in a hotel lounge in public.  Really people.  Or don't talk so loud! Get a conference room or something.  None the less it passed the time.
 
We checked out soon after that and went to Hopdoddy's for lunch.  There is one by my work and one by Preston's work in Dallas.  Neither one of us have gone there yet and weren't that interested.  However, it was recommended by some friends and it started in Austin so we thought we would try it out.  Pretty good burgers! I'm a once every 3 months burger type person so I doubt I will be going to the one by office any time soon.  Next it was on our way to the next resort.  I don't have any pictures of the sign, but it was Lost Pines Resort.
 
First stop....a massage....
 
 
This was my first prenatal massage.  It was nice, but different.  The spa itself was really nice though!  I mean, it had free cookies.  Afterwards we went for some golf.  I've never officially golfed.  I've done Top Golf and Miniature Golf.  I even was the bar cart girl at the Oaks Country Club one summer.  So point is, I rode around with Preston while he got in 9 holes.  It was so much fun! I was his caddy and he fully let me play the part.  Telling him about blades of grass and lifting the flag, etc.  We even saw some wild life!




 



 
 There was one really great shot that Preston had that was just like you see on TV! The ball wasn't on the green yet and Preston chipped it up.  It landed on the green and looked like it wasn't close to the pin.  It then started to curve! I started yelling, "oh my gawd, oh my gawd!" Preston was silent.  It was slow motion.  It was going towards the hole!! The it stopped with just an inch to go.  Ugggh.  You could practically hear the crowd moan.  So close.  It was only when the ball stopped that Preston finally spoke (and I think breathed).  He too was disappointed but happy he had a witness!

Dinner that night was spent at the resort with us sitting around the fire pit afterwards.

 
Next morning we enjoyed pastries and coffee before heading out for a hike! 

 
 
 






ummmmmm.......
more tracks.......
Not long after we found the coyote and deer tracks we heard a rustling and animal cries in the woods.  Preston investigated.  I stayed back to take pictures.  Nothing was found.

We were pretty muddy after the hike so it was back to the room for showers and hydration.  It felt good to just lay there and not move.  That was probably the first time on the trip that I felt like I was 7 months pregnant.  I was ready to not move.  It was soon time to pack up and head back to Dallas.  There were so many things to do at Lost Pines! We didn't even get to the pool/water park/lazy river.  But we will be back for sure!

For lunch we decided to get some good ole fashion Texas BBQ.  We drove to Taylor, TX for Louie Mueller BBQ.
 
It was really good! We only had to stand in line for about 20 mins.  We got brisket, ribs, and sausage with a side of potato salad. 
 
 
Before
After
So full and so happy.  Back on the road we went.  We stopped briefly at Round Rock outlets for some shopping.  I bought some "future sarah" post baby sweaters that I just couldn't not get.  I loved them! Preston got some clothes for work and then we also got some baby clothes.  Why not! It was then on to the must stop place on 35......
 



We didn't get much at the Czech Stop.  Just one fruit kolache and one sausage kolache each.  Saved for breakfast on Wednesday and Thursday. Our last stop was in Waxahachie, TX to meet up with Preston's friend for dinner.  He made homemade chicken tacos with corn on the cob and cantaloupe.  It was nice to have a homemade meal after eating out for the past 3 days.  It was a good visit and we got to meet his daughter who was adorable!

It was close to 8:30pm by the time we pulled into the garage at our apartment.  We quickly unpacked and changed clothes.  Ashe seemed pretty excited to see us as well.  It was great to get away.  We were very happy with the resorts and will more than likely go back to them in the future.  Especially Lost Pines.  You can easily take a child there, but still go without children and have a good time.

I'm looking forward to this weekend of book club, Oktoberfest, comedy festivals, and hospital classes.  I'm telling myself the hospital classes will be fun.  

No comments: