Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Lifetime Channel Visits Josephine St.

It hasn't rained in months here in Dallas. Today was the day it rained. I came home from work and dashed from my garage to my house. When I got inside I deceided I was going to be very productive. I first started by unloading the dishwasher. I was happy with my movement. I pulled out some frozen chicken tenders (unbreaded) and placed them on a plate to defrost.

I then started loading the dishwasher with the items in the sink. Lala Laaaala. Happy Wednesday, or is it Tuesday?! I reach under the sink to get the detergant and turn to the door on the dishwasher that is laying open like a mouth at the dentist. And there it is.....the nice little tiny detergant door all sealed up clutching the contents of last nights detergant that I placed there. Waiting. Waiting to be released and scrub at the dishes. The dishes that I JUST unloaded and put away in my cabinets, drawers, cupboards. I opened the trap door and the detergrant said hello with a snide glitter. I stood up and glared back at the goo. Without saying a word I turned around looked at my cabinets, drawers, and cupboards. I knew what lurked behind those wooden shields. I knew what I had just done. I did the only thing someone like me that had a work day like me would do. I put the detergant box back under the sink, left the trap door open with last nights goo still hanging out and shut the door. Pressed the pots/pans, high pressure, sanitize, heat dry buttons and walked out of the kitchen.

I then had the pleasure of hearing dripping water. I looked to my left and the spot that Pedro fixed last September was spitting water down onto the floor. Walking over I reach out my hand. I thought that maybe I was seeing things. Nope...water. I call Pedro and tell him I need him to come fix this once the rain stops. He says he will, yadda, yadda, blah, blah. We are off the phone. I don't feel satisfied that this is something he cares about. As I walked to the living room I remembered the house across the street was remolding. Peaking out the front window I see the white van still stationed. Yeah! I grab my umbrella and make my way towards the black hooded man digging in the back. "Excuse me." I say. "I need your help, do you fix leaks?" He turns around and gives me the up and down. "yes" is all he says. "can you come look at my problem?" He smiles...not creepy smile...more like sympathtic smile. We make our way to my house. He takes one look at my issue and speaks broken English about getting plastic out of the van.

Thoughts of the fact that there is a strange man in my house doesn't really cross my mind. We go upstairs to the balcony and he ask for a hammer and nails. Like a good person who watches horror movies all the time, I hand over my death weapons and stand with my back to him as he lays down plastic. All of this I think of AFTER he has done. I told my co-worker Kristin today that I wanted a Lifetime Dramatic Death....I almost had one!! Alas, he lays down the plastic on the floor to stop the leaking vs my face and we head back downstairs. We both stand there staring at the drip, watching it get less and less. Which is good! Yeah! He ask my name, "Sarah" I say. "And yours?" "Salvador" We go back to staring at water. It wasn't long before we are talking about our jobs, etc. I used the word Awesome in a sentence and he feels comfortable enough to ask me what that means. I don't want to laugh so I just smile and say, "very good". Soon after that I say the word Crap and same thing. "What is crap?" At this point I'm thinking to myself how much slang I use and how little he must understand what I'm saying. Without thinking of anything better to say I reply with, "it's another word for Shit. Not good" He laughs and I can tell he is a little embarrased that he basiclly just asked me what Shit means.

It was after that he asked if I lived alone. Again without thinking I say yes and he goes on about how he has worked on several houses on this street and a lot of people live alone here. He is surprised that we don't all have roommates. I don't really know what to say so I just say, "eh" and smile. The dripping seem to slow so we start talking about when it stops raining what needs to be done, when, etc. I expressed in a round about way I want it fixed but don't want to spend a lot. Say how this is the worst timing, which isn't a lie...it really is. My Mexico fund is slowing going away. He then ask me if I have a boyfriend. This time I think! I cock my head to the side and say yes. (liar liar pants on fire!) He then says that I should have him pay for it. I laugh on the outside, but am cursing myself on the inside. Which is better? To have Salvador think I live alone and single? or have Salvador think I live alone but have some male around? I later deciede that the later is safer. My alarm system is Fort Knox, but I'm not taking any risk. I hope my chances of a good repair deal aren't foiled b/c of some imaginary boyfriend that I need to remember I have.

So. Here I sit. In my livingroom. Salvador's van is still in front of my house. If something happens to me, his card is hidden under the cookie jar on top of the fridge...just incase. And if they DO make a Lifetime movie out of this, let it be known that I would like Tracey Gold to play me. Thank you.

1 comment:

KRiSTiN said...

Hahahahah!

Greatness! Oh Tracy, you are so funny. How lifetime your life has become. :)

You friend,
Kelly