Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Legal Age

Sitting at dinner tonight an old F150 pulled into the valet across the street.  I loved the way it looked.  My husband has been talking for several years about wanting to get a truck. I pointed out how that should be the truck he should get.  He then said words that caught me off guard.  

"I wouldn't get anything that I wasn't of legal age."

What? "Say again?", I said.  He clarified.  He said he would never get a vehicle that he wasn't able to drive legally in the year it was made.  It was slow motion as the words sunk into my head.  I should never buy a car that was made prior to 1980.  But why?  And then he explained.  

Every person who turns 16 has a dream car.  They have a dream of the car they saw in a magazine, on TV, or someone at school that drives the EXACT car you would love to drive.  In Preston's idea....that car should be for them, not us.  The truck I saw should be driven by a person that turned 16 in the 1980's.  A person that wished to drive a 1980'ish F150.  To drive it to the football game on Friday, to take their high school sweatheart to prom.  That is who should have those cars.  We should drive cars built 1996/97 and up.

I had never thought about it before like that and to be honest, it was really refreshing.   

No comments: