Sunday, April 29, 2012

Cinco de MayOh Pinterest!

via http://www.sheknows.com/
A week ago I saw this photo on Pinterest.  How cute are they!! They are so colorful, AND have a fun surprise in the middle.  Here in Dallas the Mexican holiday of Cinco de Mayo is a big deal.  I guess it is because we are so close to Mexico maybe, not sure.  But there are block parties, restaurant specials, and festivals every where.  It actually is pretty cool.  You hear Latino music floating up from neighborhoods as you drive around East Dallas. 

This year Cinco de Mayo falls on a Saturday so we are looking forward to being able to celebrate all day!  Patio?  Why yes I will.  So I thought, "why don't I make these cookies?"  I read the instructions and it doesn't look THAT hard.  Famous Last Word.  Although they did turn out ok, making them was a horrible experiance.  It involved me spending 30 mins just mixing the balls of dough to create the colors.  I was sweating it was so exhausting.  Lot's of arm work!

Before I did anything, I had to go get cookie supplies.  I needed a donkey cookie cutter and food gel coloring. My friend Summer suggested Sur la Table and I'm very happy she suggested that.  It had the perfect items!  I got the cookie cutter for $1 (so what if it is a horse, it works) and a box of 12 colors for $15!  I figured the colors were an investment.  

The cookie cutter is on top of the M&M's, kind of hard to see. 

The colors are pretty cool!  It even has black, brown, and the odd colors that one MIGHT need for future baking.  I used the black, but it didn't make all the way.  You'll see.  Anyway....when I make a new recipe I like to following the instructions to a T.  These cookies are really just sugar cookies, but the recipe for their sugar cookies called for 1 cup of vegetable oil.  I have never put oil in a sugar cookie recipe, but thought maybe it has something to do with the colors?  So I did as I was told.  Waaaaaaay to oily for me.  Next time I make these, I'll make the old fashion Betty Crocker recipe of sugar cookies.  It will be cleaner fo sho!  Once the dough was made, I started coloring it.  

Do you see how shiny the wax paper is?  That is how oily the dough was, gross!


This is the teal color.  You put the color on with a toothpick and then mix.



The end results. They were very bright in person! 
Coloring these suckers took me about 30 minutes and I was sweating by the end of it.  It wasn't messy, with colors.  I liked that part, just took forever to get it blended.  My right arm was starting to get sore and I was sweating.  Yuck.  Once these were made I had to layer them.  THAT was hard.  I recommend rolling first.  You would think that is common knowledge, but even I failed to think of it until 3 layers in.  Duh! 

Here is the layering.  Do you see how straight my lines are?  It is just perfect.  ::rolling eyes::


After I layered it and put it in the freezer, which is actually the end result picture to the right.  It is easier to show the layering in this photo than in a pan without see through sides.

Once it was ready (freezer for 4 hours) you slice it, bake it, and THEN cut it.  I thought that was odd, but I said I would follow the instructions and it really isn't that bad.  Below are the rest of the pictures of my adventure.

The baked slices

After cut. The black section is suppose to be their feet, but they all fell off. Didn't "stick" well.


time to make the pinata!

putting in the surprise!!

Ta Da!

It stands! It stands!

The whole heard, one fell over.  



Now this....Is the donkey graveyard.  RIP donkeys.  Lost....but not forgotten.


No comments: