Friday, January 22, 2010

1987 - 30 Years in 30 Days


This is a big year. This is the year I moved from Tulsa, Ok to Bixby, Ok. I was leaving behind the only house I knew. My only friends, school, all of that. I remember my parents driving us out to Bixby to look at the house. In hindsight, they had already bought the place. The drive seemed sooooo long. It was maybe 30 mins but driving out of Tulsa to Bixby back in 1987 meant at least 10 miles of nothing. Just fields and cows. I felt like I was moving to a new country! The house was on 10 acres and had a pond, creek, and HUGE back yard for Jill and I to play in. I was kind of excited. The front bedroom had a big chandler in it and I really wanted that room. Of course my parent's took it down when we moved in, but I was so upset it wasn't mine. They also ripped up the green shag carpet. Which was totally infested with fleas! It was awful, we had to bomb the whole house!! But afterwards, beautiful hardwoods were polished up and that was the house I call home.

Before we moved out there my parents had taken us to the Green Corn Festival that summer. Bixby is known for their produce, especially corn. Besides the wonderful corn that is bathed in butter and drips down your chin and arm, they also have rides and games. One of the games that Jill and I really liked to do was the turtle races. They draw circles in the middle of the street and you put your turtle in the middle. They cover them with a metal bucket, bang on it, remove the bucket, and then the first turtle to walk out of the circle wins!! Here we are at our first turtle race.

I'm hoping that is our turtle that is walking towards us. We started school in Bixby mid October 1987. I was in the 2nd grade and my teacher was Mrs. Sparks. I remember she had jet black hair and it was a true Beehive!! I was scared of her. I really liked my class, they were very nice to me as the "new kid". Brassfield in general was very nice. I was going to like Bixby and I was going to like going from the city to the country.



I remember eating at Simple Simons Pizza our first night moved into our house and then going to Super H and getting a blow pop as a treat. We NEVER ate out and to have candy!!! That was a special night. I really like having the memory seperation of anything I remember in Tulsa was before 1987. It makes it so much easier. Thank you 1987, I liked you.



No comments: